Who We Are
The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Task Force, Inc. is an all volunteer grassroots civic organization. Its purpose is to communicate to others in the local community the importance of celebrating the National Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday.
The Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Task Force, Inc. was established in 1985. Receiving its incorporation status in 1992, the Task Force is comprised of local residents, private and public organizations and local government representatives.
Show your support!
Donate online today to support the MLK Task Force.
Make your secure payment or other donation today using Visa, MC, AMEX, or PayPal.
To award eligible applicants with scholarships for college tuition or books, full or partial expenses associated with travel on a civil rights tour, or place of interest determined by the Scholarship Committee.
Type of Award
Academic - $500 (4 awards)
Travel - $200-$500 (to be determined by the scholarship committee)
Who May Apply
Any student who is a resident of Southfield or Lathrup Village.
- Students must provide an official transcript of high school credit including 11th and 12th grades
- Students must provide an acceptance letter from accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or more on a 4.0 scale
- Documented community service (school, church, community)
- Original typewritten essay 250 words, entitled "How do you plan to live a life following Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and leave a legacy worthy for others to follow", (Essay must be typed double spaced).
- Applicant must state which type of scholarship is being applied for; 1) college books, 2) full or partial expenses for civil rights travel on tour or other place of interest.
Annual Justice and Equality Awards Ceremony
A Celebration of Drum Majors, Trailblazers and Leaders Fighting for What is Just and Right
Monday, January 19, 2015 at 6:00 p.m.
Pi Banquet Hall
28847 Franklin Road
Southfield, Michigan 48034